Help Center - TROUBLESHOOT: Why is my printer still indicating my toner is low after replacing the cartridge?
TROUBLESHOOT: Why is my printer still indicating my toner is low after replacing the cartridge?
The low toner message may still show up even after the toner cartridge has been changed. This could be because:
Improperly installed toner cartridge
Please check the cartridge's installment.
- Properly open the cover of your laser printer.
- Uninstall the drum unit where the referred toner cartridge is installed.
- Lay out a paper towel on a clean flat surface to prevent toner dust in the drum unit from spreading. Place the drum unit on the paper.
- Wear latex gloves to prevent touching loose toner dust. Properly uninstall the toner cartridge from the drum unit.
- Carefully rock the toner cartridge from side to side 8-10 times. This will evenly distribute the toner powder inside and help cancel the low toner notifications.
- Properly install the toner cartridge into the drum unit again. In some models, a click will be heard when it will lock in place.
- Install the drum unit into the printer again.
- Close the printer cover.
Printer's firmware is not updated
Go to your printer manufacturer's official website to download the latest firmware.
A Starter cartridge is used as the replacement
In some Brother printer models, a starter cartridge isn't built with a reset lever that replacement cartridges have. The printer will not consider the starter cartridge as a new cartridge. Please use a replacement cartridge.
The replacement toner is already used in another printer
A used toner cartridge will have the reset lever. But because it has been used in another printer already, its reset lever will not be in the right position to activate the printer to reset the toner level. Please use a new, unused replacement toner cartridge.
For more detailed instructions regarding the cartridge not recognized, follow the steps in our guide.