Is your printer not recognizing the new cartridge? Before you head out to replace your newly bought cartridges or bring your printer to a technician, read this guide on how to fix ink cartridge not recognized. This guide about printer not recognizing ink will cover the following topics to help you resolve the issue:
- Why is my printer not working after replacing ink cartridges?
- What are the cartridge error messages?
- Printer not recognizing ink troubleshooting tips.
Why is My Printer Not Working After Replacing Ink Cartridges?
Cartridges have microchips that come in contact with the printer upon installation. The printer tracks the number of pages that have been printed via the cartridge chip. Installing a new cartridge resets your printer's memory, and it detects that your cartridge still has a hundred percent printing capacity.
There are various reasons why your printer doesn't recognize the new ink cartridge. It's important to determine the cause before you can fix any printing issues. Your new ink cartridge not working can be due to the following:
- Expired cartridges.
- Firmware has been updated.
- Wrong cartridge model installed.
- The protective tape was not removed.
- Incorrect position or color slot of installed cartridges.
- The contacts in your printer or cartridge are damaged or dirty.
- The printer's memory is not reset. It's still reading the data from the previous chip.
- The printer has not been used for long, causing the cartridges and their metal contacts to dry.
What are the Cartridge Problem Error Messages?
When your printer is unable to recognize an ink cartridge, your system will prompt you. To alert you, the ink, maintenance, or stop buttons on the printer will begin to blink. You may also see a cartridge error message on your printer's LCD screen or on the status monitor. The cartridge error messages are quite similar regardless of the printer brand. You may encounter the following printer error messages:
- "Low ink."
- "Cartridge Problem"
- "One or more cartridges appear to be damaged. Remove them and replace with new cartridges."
- "Ink Cartridge Failure. Print cartridge(s) missing or not detected."
- "Toner is not compatible."
- "No cartridge installed."
Printer Not Recognizing Ink Troubleshooting Tips
Now that we better understand why your printer doesn't recognize the new cartridge and what error messages we might encounter, let's proceed with fixing the cartridge not recognized problem. We'll give you two simple tips for fixing the issue.
First tip is resetting the printer's memory so it can detect the data from your new cartridge. The second tip is manually cleaning your cartridges to free it from dust or debris so it can function properly. Take note that these tips for your printer not recognizing cartridges are applicable regardless of the brand.
Tip 1 - Resetting the printer's memory
Your printer's memory might not have been cleared. It's still detecting the data from the used cartridge. To resolve this problem, reinstall the used ink cartridge.
- Uninstall the new ink cartridge.
- Install the used cartridge in the printer.
- Allow the machine to recognize the old cartridge for a few minutes.
- Remove the used cartridge and replace it with the new one.
- Check if your printer is now recognizing the new cartridge.
- If it's still not working, try unplugging the printer to clear its memory.
- Remove the new cartridge from the printer. To avoid ink leaks, place the cartridge on a flat surface with a paper towel underneath.
- Turn off the printer.
- Unplug the machine. Remove the power cord to clear the printer's memory.
- Wait for at least ten minutes before plugging the printer again.
- After plugging in, reinstall the new cartridge. Do not turn on the printer yet.
- Once the new cartridge is in place, turn on the printer.
Tip 2 - Cleaning the metal contacts of the printer and cartridges
Another reason for ink cartridge failure is that your cartridge chips or printer's contacts might be dirty. It's easy to fix your printer ink not working using a lint-free cloth and isopropyl alcohol.
- Take out the new cartridges from the printer and place it on a flat surface with a paper towel underneath.
- Turn the printer off and unplug it.
- Locate the metal contacts of the cartridge.
- Get the lint-free cloth with alcohol. Wipe the surface of the cartridge contacts gently. Be careful not to damage or leave residue on the contacts.
- Locate the printer's metal contacts. Wipe it gently with the lint-free cloth with alcohol. Be careful not to damage or leave residue on the printer's contacts.
- Reinstall the new cartridges into the printer.
- Plug in the printer and turn it on.
- Print a test page to see if the cartridge issue is fixed.
If the tips above on how to fix ink cartridge not recognized don't work, you can try additional troubleshooting steps exclusive to your printer brand. In this part, we'll give you tips on how to fix a cartridge problem automatically depending on your printer's brand, starting with how to fix HP printer not recognizing ink.
How to Bypass HP Printer Cartridge Error?
For HP printer users, downgrading your HP printer firmware or disabling the update can help in making your printer recognize your new cartridges. You can also try these troubleshooting steps for your HP printer not recognizing new ink cartridge. Check first if your machine is offline or online, then follow the steps below:
Offline HP Printer
- Open the Printer menu, then choose Printer Settings.
- Locate the Disable HP Cartridge Protection option.
- Choose Disable from the menu.
- Select Apply and Save.
Online HP Printer
- Find the IP address of your HP printer by clicking Printer Settings, then Network Setup.
- Copy the printer's IP address, then type it in your web browser.
- The Embedded Web server opens. Click Settings and then HP Cartridge Protection.
- Choose Disable HP Cartridge Protection.
- Click Apply or Save.
How to Override Epson Ink Cartridge Not Recognized?
Is your Epson printer not recognizing ink? We've got the guide for you. Resetting your Epson ink cartridge can help resolve the cartridge problem easily. There are steps to follow whether you have a cartridge resetter or not. You can also disable your Epson printer firmware update or downgrade it to avoid the same problems in the future.
How to Fix Canon Printer Not Recognizing New Ink Cartridge?
A firmware update is one of the reasons for your Canon printer not recognizing ink. The update can fix bugs and minor issues, but it can also be a source of printing troubles. This part will teach you how to disable Canon cartridge protection so your printer can recognize the new cartridge. Here are the steps:
- In your Control Panel, click Devices and Printers.
- Locate your Canon printer model, then right-click on it.
- Choose Printer Properties, then click Software.
- Uncheck the Automatically Update option.
If you're still experiencing Canon ink cartridge cannot be recognized, try to hold down the Stop/Cancel button for 15 seconds. It's a circle with a triangle inside. When your ink monitor shuts off, and the printer stops blinking and starts printing, it means the method is effective.
How to Fix Brother Printer Cannot Detect Ink?
If your Brother printer cannot detect ink is still an issue, you can try another way. This tip is simple and easy to follow. You can apply it to a Brother laser or inkjet printer to clear the error message so you can start printing again.
- For laser printers: Press the power button on your Brother printer for seven times.
For inkjet printers: Hold the Cancel and Print buttons simultaneously.
- Lift the printer cover.
- Click the Clear or Back button.
- Using the arrow keys, scroll to the Reset options.
- Select a cartridge to reset.
- To reset, click OK then press 1.
- To exit from the menu, press the Clear or Back button.
If all the tips above on how to fix ink cartridge not recognized don't work, it's time to test if the cartridge or the printer is damaged by using other printer inks. Your cartridge or printer might have electrical damage that's not visible. Try installing another new cartridge to see if it will work. Replacing the cartridges with a whole new set may resolve the problem. If the printer ink not working issue remains, it's time to call a technician.
To avoid the problem of a new printer cartridge not working in the future, remember the following tips:
- Store your cartridges in a clean, cool dry place.
- Check your printer and cartridges often for any leakage.
- Make sure that your printer is not exposed to dust or dirt.
- Avoid updating the printer firmware. Turn off the printer update feature.
We hope our guide has helped you in resolving your printer not recognizing ink problems. CompAndsave is committed to providing budget-friendly, high-quality remanufactured, and compatible cartridges. If you encounter some issues, feel free to contact our customer service department at our toll-free number: 1-833-465-6888 from Monday to Friday, 6am-6pm PT.