Firmware updates are typically released to address firmware bugs, crashes, or issues in order to improve printer performance. However, if you use remanufactured or third-party ink cartridges, this is not the case.
Dynamic security-enabled HP printers
Since year 2016, HP has included dynamic security in their firmware update which is designed to limit the use of third-party ink cartridges. As per HP, dynamic security-enabled printers are only meant to function with cartridges that have brand-new or repurposed HP chips or electronic circuitry. This feature has been added by them to block non-HP chips, modified, or non-HP electronic circuitry.
How would I know if my printer's firmware has been updated?
Printer manufacturers can automatically update your printer's firmware without your knowledge, especially if it is connected to your Wi-Fi or via a cable directly connected to your computer with an internet connection.
The firmware update may impact you if you are receiving error messages like "Cartridge is missing or damaged", "Remove and reinstall ink cartridge", "Cartridge not being recognized", or if your ink cartridges suddenly stopped working after initially working flawlessly.
Please note that once your firmware has been updated, your printer will only accept OEM or original ink cartridges unless you remove the dynamic security feature, HP printer firmware reset to its default settings, or you can opt for HP printer firmware downgrade which will be discussed later in this page.
How can I avoid this update?
We highly suggest you check and read carefully any message that pops up on your computer or printer screen and not accept it if prompted for a firmware update. It will also be best to disable the auto-update feature in printer settings or remove the dynamic security feature.
How to remove HP's dynamic security?
There is now a firmware update from HP that gives you the option to disable the dynamic security feature. Before you can access and remove it, you must complete the process of installing the most recent firmware. To prevent further problems, we strongly advise you to disable the auto-update feature if you prefer this solution. Only the printers listed below can use the update:
- This update disables dynamic security for printers made before December 1, 2016, including the HP Officejet Pro 6970, 7740, 8210, 8700, Officejet 6950, PageWide 300, 400, and 500 printers. With this update, dynamic security is still usable on printers made on or after December 1, 2016.
- This update disables dynamic security for all printers, regardless of the date of manufacture, including HP OfficeJet 6810, 6820, OfficeJet Pro 6230, 6830, 8610, 8620, 8630, 8640, 8660, X451dn/dw, X476dn/dw, X551dw, and X576dw printers.
If you prefer this approach, you can follow the instructions in HP's update the firmware on an HP printer guide to install the most recent firmware while disabling the dynamic security feature. You can reset or downgrade firmware if you don't want to take the chance.
HP printer firmware reset instructions
Restoring the printer to its factory default settings is the simplest way to turn off cartridge protection. This can be done by pressing the control panel display buttons on the printer.
- Click Setup from the control panel display of the printer.
- Click Tools under the Setup menu.
- On the Tools menu, click Restore Factory Defaults.
- Once done, the Restore Factory Defaults window will show a warning message. To continue with Restore Factory Defaults, click Yes.
- After selecting Yes, the printer will restart automatically and return to its factory settings.
- The "Protected Cartridge" function is no longer available.
NOTE: If you currently have an installed "protected" ink cartridge, you must replace it with a new cartridge and dispose of the old one. Any new HP ink cartridge you install in your printer going forward won't be protected; it can be filled and used again, recycled, and then remanufactured for use by another customer.
How can I reverse or perform an HP printer firmware downgrade?
Recently, HP released a firmware update. If you are not yet affected by this, you can refer to the instructions below on how to disable future HP firmware upgrades. Otherwise, if you are one of those that are affected by this recent HP firmware changes, then the instructions below might help you on how to do an HP printer firmware reset or HP firmware downgrade.
NOTE: Please be informed that using our compatible replacement printer ink cartridges will never void your printer warranty. Please contact us for any further questions.
How to Revert or Perform an HP Firmware Downgrade for HP 90x/95x/97x Series Printers
There might be some cases that you won't be able to downgrade the new firmware in your printer. Please proceed with caution.
How to Downgrade
- Make sure your printer is in good condition. Turn off or disable the "Automatically Update Check" function.
- Check if your printer is connected to the computer via USB cable.
- Download and run the older version of the firmware installation package on your computer. Find the proper link from the printer model list below. HP 90x Series
Printer Model Download Link HP OfficeJet Pro 6950 All-in-One Printer Download HP 90x Series Firmware HP OfficeJet Pro 6954 All-in-One Printer HP OfficeJet Pro 6960 All-in-One Printer HP OfficeJet Pro 6962 All-in-One Printer HP OfficeJet Pro 6968 All-in-One Printer HP OfficeJet Pro 6970 All-in-One Printer HP OfficeJet Pro 6975 All-in-One Printer HP OfficeJet Pro 6978 All-in-One Printer Printer Model Download Link HP OfficeJet Pro 8210 All-in-One Printer Download HP 95x Series Firmware HP OfficeJet Pro 8216 All-in-One Printer HP OfficeJet Pro 8218 All-in-One Printer HP OfficeJet Pro 8710 All-in-One Printer HP OfficeJet Pro 8715 All-in-One Printer HP OfficeJet Pro 8718 All-in-One Printer HP OfficeJet Pro 8720 All-in-One Printer HP OfficeJet Pro 8725 All-in-One Printer HP OfficeJet Pro 8728 All-in-One Printer HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 All-in-One Printer HP OfficeJet Pro 8740 All-in-One Printer HP OfficeJet Pro 8745 All-in-One Printer HP OfficeJet Pro 7720 Wide Format All-in-One Printer HP OfficeJet Pro 7730 Wide Format All-in-One Printer HP OfficeJet Pro 7740 Wide Format All-in-One Printer Printer Model Download Link HP Pagewide 352dw Download HP 97x Series Firmware HP Pagewide MFP 677dw/dn HP Pagewide Pro 452dw/dn HP Pagewide Pro MFP 477dw/dn HP Pagewide Pro 552dw HP Pagewide Pro MFP 577dw/Z HP Pagewide Managed P55250dw HP Pagewide Managed MFP P57750dw
- Open the downloaded firmware downgrade software. Wait for the software to automatically search for your printer.
- Once your printer is detected, the name will be shown on the software window title bar.
- Check on the printer that you want to downgrade, and click on the 'Update' button to start the process.
- Please make sure that both the printer and computer power is always on and doesn't get interrupted beyond this point.
- Once the downgrade process is done, it will show the notification saying the printer has been successfully updated. Click 'OK' to close the notification.
- Your firmware has been successfully downgraded. You will be able to see the new firmware version like shown below. Click 'Exit' to finish and close the software window box. After this, you should be able to start printing with your compatible cartridge again.
- How to know if printer's firmware has been updated.
- How to avoid firmware update.
- How to remove HP's dynamic security.
- HP printer firmware reset instructions.
- How to perform an HP printer firmware downgrade.
- Disable future firmware upgrades
- Downgrade HP 90x, 95x and 97x Series printer firmware